Australian health and medical researchers have made major contributions that have impacted on individuals here and across the globe, including:
- The Cochlear implant/bionic ear for profound deafness
- IVF technology
- The Heart pacemaker
- The Gardasil vaccine – for use against the human papilloma virus, the cause of cervical cancer
- The discovery that spina bifida can be prevented through a diet rich in folate in early pregnancy
- The use of colony-stimulating factors in the treatment of more than 10 million cancer patients
- Relenza – the anti-influenza drug
- The humidicrib
- Resmed – the Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) technology for treatment of sleep apnoea, sleep-disordered breathing and other respiratory disorders
- The Rotavirus vaccine, which protects children from rotaviruses – the leading cause of severe diarrhea among infants and young children.
Read more information on AAMRI member success stories.