Benefits to the Community
Health and medical research brings many benefits to Australia, and to individuals and countries around the world.
How the community benefits:
- Access to better health services
- Discoveries in disease prevention and treatment
- Improved lives and livelihoods
- Reduced pain and suffering
- Well-founded hope.
How Australia’s health system benefits:
- A more effective and efficient health system
- Reduced patient burden on the health system
- We attract the world’s brightest, pioneering minds to Australia
- Solutions to healthcare problems.
How our economy benefits:
- A proven return on investment
- Improved labour participation rate and productivity
- Curtailed increasing healthcare costs
- Creation of high value jobs
- Our best and brightest minds remain onshore
- Creation of a knowledge-intensive medicines industry
- Creation of a more diverse economy
- Attraction of private investment to Australia
- Provides Australia with strong international standing in health and medical research.
AAMRI President-elect Professor Tony Cunningham AO on why government investment in medical research is so important.